Gas by nature is a very volatile substance, and must be handled with extreme care and attention to avoid wastage and risk of fire outbreak. When gas is left unprotected or exposed to open air, it has the ability of vaporizing spontaneously; this process however gets sped up in the presence of hot temperatures. An example is when a fuel room is open under the sun, the gas in the fuel room evaporates causing fuel wastage and air pollution,click here.
A purge valve is the constituent of an evaporation system, during the conversion of fuel to gas, purge valve prevents the escape of the gas and redirects it to a charcoal barrel. An unclosed purge valve conveys an amount of fuel vapour thereby contributing to the burning of about 5-10% of fuel mixture in cylinders. The valve regulates the time of evacuating fumes from a charcoal can.
Purge valves connect a pipe from a charcoal barrel into the input manifold, the pipe sucks out the hydrocarbons from the charcoal into an engine to be combusted. Uses of purge valve include pneumatics, hydraulic systems etc.
Purge valve is very significant in oil and gas and some of the reasons why it is common in oil and gas are discussed below.
- It allows for smooth running of engines: Purge valve is common and well known for its ability to prevent the unusual mixture of fuel which can be burnt, and in turn choke the engine or bring about a malfunction.
- Effective spark plugs: Purge valve is also common in oil and gas because it is capable of diverting fuel vapours into an engine for combustion thereby preventing the emergence of heat that can spoil the spark plugs. An effective purge valve allows for a effective and long lasting spark plug.
- Successful transmission of emission tests: A purge valve redirects vapours into an emission system. When a purge valve is faulty, it is unable to deflect fuels vapours in an emission system thereby releasing various gases out of a car’s exhaust.
- It reduces ignition of gases: While filling an engine with oil or gas, the valve allows air to evade from inside the pressure regulator thereby reducing harmful pressure storage which could cause the gases ignition and it could be dangerous.
- Effective gaskets: Purge valve allows the passage of vapour which results in the prevention of pressure build up in a system and reduces the risk of damage in gaskets
- Control of fuel vapours: A purge valve accurately controls the rate of fuel gas which is purged from charcoal barrels to be consumed in the engine.
- Effective engines: The valve allows for effective running of the engines. A damaged valve may allow the warning light for faulty engines in some cars come on.
There are lots of reasons why purge valve is common in oil and gas, and some of these reasons have been discussed above, making it obvious that purge valve places a significant role in oil and gas.